Type to search

News

Judge Approves Historic $800 Million Class Action Settlement for 2017 Las Vegas Shooting

Share

A settlement totaling $800 million has been reached in a class action lawsuit against MGM Resorts International and its insurers over the 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting, the deadliest in modern American history. CNN reported Wednesday that the plaintiffs’ attorney, Robert Eglet, confirmed there is a 30-day period of appeal for the historic settlement. “We are hopeful it will be completed in a manner that we will be able to disperse the victims’ funds before the end of the year,” Eglet said. Over 4,400 relatives and victims of the shooting were involved in the settlement.

The Associated Press also reported that the court’s action finalizes a deal settling dozens of lawsuits on the eve of the third anniversary of the mass shooting that killed 58 people and injured more than 850 at an open-air concert near the Mandalay Bay resort.

“By the grace of God, myself and my family are going to be OK,” said Stephanie Fraser, a plaintiff in the lawsuit from La Palma, California. “I needed to be able to protect our kids.”

Clark County District Court Judge Linda Bell, in her brief order, cited “near-unanimous participation in the settlement among potential claimants.”

Authorities said more than 22,000 people were attending an outdoor music festival when a gunman firing military-style weapons from windows on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay rained rapid-fire bullets into the crowd.

Fraser’s husband of 13 years, Brian Fraser, a vice president at a mortgage company, died after being shot in the chest as they danced while country music singer Jason Aldean performed.

“Brian is missed beyond words by all of us — all of our family and all of our friends,” Stephanie Fraser told The Associated Press. The couple had four children and stepchildren. She and her attorney, Dan Robinson, declined to say how much they’ll receive in the settlement.

“With this coming to an end, it brings closure and allows us to put pieces back together,” Fraser said. “Brian would want that for us.”

The gunman responsible for the carnage, Stephen Paddock, 64, was found dead on the floor of his hotel room with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

“What we have been able to answer are the questions of who, what, when, where, and how,” Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said during a 2018 press conference. “What we have not been able to answer definitively is the why Stephen Paddock committed this act.”

The Mandalay Bay resort is owned by MGM Resorts International. According to CNN, in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) last month, MGM indicated that only $49 million of the settlement would come from the company’s funds, with the remaining $751 million being covered by liability insurance.